Farmers cheese is a versatile cheese that can be used in a variety of dishes. It’s a great cheese for grating, slicing, and melting, and it’s also a popular cheese for snacking. But how do you store farmers cheese? Can you freeze it? How long does it last in the fridge?
Can you freeze farmers cheese?
Yes, you can freeze farmer’s cheese! To freeze farmer’s cheese: cool, wrap in plastic food wrap and place into freezer bag. Keep up to 3 months. The frozen cheese texture differs a bit from freshly made cheese and becomes a bit fall-apart, but works great for Cheese Pancakes and other breakfast recipes.
Simply thaw the frozen cheese in the refrigerator overnight before using. Use thawed farmer’s cheese within 2-3 days.
Here are some ideas of dishes you can make with frozen farmer’s cheese:
- Cheese Pancakes
- Scrambled Eggs with Cheese
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Macaroni and Cheese
How long can farmers cheese be frozen?
Farmers cheese can be frozen for up to 3 months. The texture of the cheese may differ slightly after being frozen, but it will still work great for recipes such as Cheese Pancakes.
Here are some tips for freezing farmer’s cheese:
- Cool the cheese before wrapping it in plastic food wrap.
- Place the wrapped cheese into a freezer bag.
- Label the freezer bag with the date that the cheese was placed inside.
- When ready to use, thaw the cheese in the refrigerator.
Does farmers cheese have to be refrigerated?
Yes, farmer’s cheese is a fresh, unaged cheese with a very short storage life and must be kept refrigerated.
Farmer’s Cheese is a North American type of cheese. It is not the same as “Farmhouse Cheese.” Sometimes, people use the word “Farmer’s Cheese” to refer dry-curd cottage cheese.
You can make farmer’s cheese at home very easily. All you need is some milk, an acid like lemon juice or vinegar, and salt. Heat the milk until it’s just about to boiling, then add the acid and salt. Stir until the curds form, then strain them through a cheesecloth-lined colander.
After straining, the cheese will be very soft. You can eat it immediately or transfer it to a container and refrigerate it. It will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
- Farmer’s cheese is a versatile ingredient. You can use it in savory or sweet dishes, or even eat it on its own.
- Try substituting farmer’s cheese for other types of cheese in recipes. It works well in most cases.
- Farmer’s cheese is lower in fat and calories than many other cheeses, so it’s a good choice if you’re watching your weight.
How long can farmers cheese stay in refrigerator?
For best quality, all Friendship Dairies® products should be consumed within 3–5 days of opening (farmer cheese: 3 days).
However, unopened farmer cheese may be stored in the fridge for up to two weeks.
If you’re not sure if your farmer cheese is still good, smell it. If it smells sour then it has probably gone bad. Even if it doesn’t smell bad, though, it’s still important to check the expiration date on the package.
If you notice that your farmer cheese has started to form mold, it’s important to throw it away immediately. Mold can cause serious health problems, so it’s not worth taking the risk.
Here are a few tips to help you keep your farmer cheese fresh for as long as possible:
- Always store farmer cheese in the fridge. It will last much longer this way.
- Keep farmer cheese in an airtight container. This will help to prevent it from drying out.
- Don’t wash farmer cheese before storing it. Washing it will only make it spoil faster.
By following these tips, you can enjoy your farmer cheese for many weeks to come!
Can you eat expired farmers cheese?
While cheese is naturally stinky, and some can even last without refrigeration, eating it after its expiration date is generally a bad idea, especially because it can be hard to tell when it’s actually past the point of safe consumption.
Here are a few reasons why you shouldn’t eat expired cheese:
- The texture can change. Cheese that’s past its expiration date can become crumbly or mushy, and no one wants that.
- The flavor can change. Cheese that’s past its expiration date can taste sour, or even ammonia-y. Not exactly appetizing.
- It can make you sick. expired cheese can contain harmful bacteria that can cause food poisoning. So it’s not worth the risk, no matter how much you love cheese.
The next time you’re considering eating some expired cheese, think twice. It’s just not worth it.
What do you do with farmer cheese?
The simplest way to eat either is to treat them like plain yogurt, eaten with a little jam, honey, or fruit. Or you can spread the farmer’s cheese on toast, with either more jam or savory accompaniments such as green onions or tomatoes.
For a more filling meal, you could also mix the farmer’s cheese with some cooked rice or pasta. This makes a great lunch or light dinner, especially when topped with a little sauteed garlic and spinach. Another way to enjoy farmer’s cheese is in omelets or quiche.
Farmer’s cheese is a versatile ingredient that can be used in both sweet and savory dishes. It’s perfect for those who are lactose-intolerant since it’s lower in lactose than other cheeses. And it’s also a good source of protein and calcium.